Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Fat Shaming 2.... the revenge

Kelly girl, PREACH!


There are thousands of "points of light" about the whole Rob Kardashian fat shaming that alarm me.


Is this where we finally draw the line with the Kardashians? The girls are interesting, the boy--- just tolerable. How dare Rob do anything more than create a sock line and be on Dancing With the Stars? Just stand and look like a trophy, but please, PLEASE, not a full figured trophy.


Then there's the real question of what's up with Rob. He is obviously manifesting some hidden pain (Thanks Doctor.) and its now a physical reminder of that pain. In a recent exchange with paparazzi he pointed out that he's just not motivated and it has nothing to do with anything hidden or psychological. This to me is the talk of a "usually thin" person. Anyone who has been up and down multiple times (Hi, my name is Kevin and I'm a Yo-yo) knows that there is something trying desperately to be dealt with. I really feel for him. Its one thing to be overweight. Its another thing to be overweight in one of the most body conscious places on earth, in a family obsessed with looks AND constantly on camera. Rough.


Americans love to pick and choose the "fatty" they embrace. How much did we gush over Adele, always pointing out her "non-traditional" music superstar body? Or Jennifer Hudson, full figured and fabulous? But there's only room for a few at a time. Sorry Rob, its not your turn. Even with Adele and J-Hud, one wrong move on a red carpet and they were called "a couch" (Adele at The Grammys) and a "turd in tinfoil" (JHud at the Oscars.) Both have since lost weight. For a country where one out of every three people is considered overweight, we sure don't have a lot of tolerance for Fat.




What's up with us? I wish I knew. Until then, I'll continue to cross my fingers for Rob. He seems like a fairly typical human being (imperfect.) Moreover, I'll cross my fingers for humanity-- at our best... imperfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment